Sunday, 5 January 2014

Accentuate the Positive 2013 Geneameme

We are already into 2014 but I thought I would take up Jill Ball's challenge to look back on my family history researches in 2013. 

1.  An elusive ancestor I found was
- after nearly 20 years of searching I found the death of my great great great grandfather, Kenneth Budge. He died from cholera while at sea.

2.  A precious family photo I found was
- I was interested to find photos from 1915 of my great grand father who served during World War 1 as a doctor

3.  An ancestor's grave I found was
- I found an image of the grave of my great great great grandfather, Samuel Proudfoot Hawkins

4.  An important vital record I found was
- I found a probate calendar record which led me to the death record of the mother of my step grandfather - a date I had been searching for for many years. The probate calendar records are useful for sorting out if the person who died is really part of your family or otherwise.

5.  A newly found family member who shared
- there were quite a few who contacted me because of my blog.  I would not have discovered about the death of kenneth Budge if it wasn't for contact from Laurena.  In the past week I have been contacted by two people who have followed up on my blog entries to do with Charlotte Kemmis and Philip Crespigny and his wife Emilia Wade.

6.  A geneasurprise I received was
- each time I sit down and do some research there are new surprises :)

7.   My 2013 blog post that I was particularly proud of was
- none in particular but I was pleased to uncover a little more information on my husband's great great grandfather, James Cross

8.   My 2013 blog post that received a large number of hits or comments was
- the largest number of hits was received by A toxophilite - Mary de Crespigny née Clarke (1749 - 1812)

9.  A new piece of software I mastered was
- mapalist.com which I played with at Mapping the birthplaces of the children of John Way and Sarah née Daw

10. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was
- ... blogging!  In 2013 I completed 52 posts - it wasn't weekly but I managed to post at least once a month.  Each time I post I learn a lot by revisiting my research and writing it up beyond merely having collected a few dates and facts.  I have enjoyed being contacted by fellow researchers. I find geneamemes including the Sepia Saturday prompts very useful for giving me ideas.