Thursday, 29 August 2013

Response to Geniaus: The Bloggers' Geneameme

  1. What are the titles and URLs of your genealogy blog/s? I have called my blog Anne's family history - not a very inspiring title but I couldn't think of anything useful that covered the diversity of stories from my husband's and my forebears. The blog can be found at http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/
  2. Do you have a wonderful "Cousin Bait" blog story? A link to a previous blog post might answer this question. Most of my links to cousins also researching their family history has been through my online tree at ancestry.com. The blog posts on the Green and Plaisted families were a write up of a collaborative research effort with two cousins to whom I connected through ancestry.com ( http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/tabitha-plaisted-1806-1891.html and http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/green-family-in-australia.html ). One blog post ( http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/cecil-young-and-family-cecils-early.html )has been found by a previously unknown cousin ��
  3. Why did you start blogging? Is there someone who inspired you to start blogging? I have been very inspired by the Legal Genealogist blog by Judy Russell at http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/ . Among a diverse range of topics, she tells beautiful stories about her family members. My daughter wanted me to give her more information than just names, facts, dates and I really wanted to write down what I have been uncovering.  A blog seems to be a good way to do this incrementally. Also some of the facts I was researching, particularly the stories about the Green and Plaisted families needed a narrative to explain the research conclusions .
  4. How did you decide on your blog/s title/s? Mostly it is based on the name and dates of the protagonist of the post. I want it to be a useful heading for people searching their family history and I think the most useful thing is to tell them who the post is about.
  5. Do you ever blog from mobile devices? What are they? I am composing this on my iPad. But although it is useful for starting a blog, most of the time I need to finish the blog on the desktop PC as the iPad application is not flexible enough. On this occasion though I have completed the post using the iPad's Blogger app.
  6. How do you let others know when you have published a new post? I usually plus one to my Google profile. Sometimes I email my immediate family if I think they will be interested.
  7. How long have you been blogging? Since April 2012 but it was a very slow start. It is only over the last few months I have really started adding posts. 
  8. What widgets or elements do you consider essential on a genealogy blog? I really think we should say how we know the facts that we relay in the blog - I consider references essential.
  9. What is the purpose of your blog/s? Who is your intended audience? I wanted to do more than document dates and facts on a tree. It isn't very accessible unless you are very interested in family history. My daughter was the main prompt, she asked several times for me to tell her about her forebears - not just the names and dates. My main audience is my immediate family and any interested relatives.
  10. Which of your posts are you particularly proud of? Too hard to say! I don't have a favourite. There are some I feel more frustrated with than others; I don't feel I have told the stories adequately. I know I need to improve but feel the best way to do this is to keep writing.
  11. How do you keep up with your blog reading? Blogger does have a blog reader for blogs I subscribe to but I find it much much easier to keep up by receiving posts by email. I have recently subscribed to Merron Riddiford's Wester District Families blog at http://mywdfamilies.wordpress.com/ . It is an absolute delight when her posts appear in my mail box, as it is to read posts by the Legal Genealogist. They are always interesting and well written.
  12. What platform do you use for publishing your blog/s? Google's Blogger
  13. What new features would you like to see in your blogging software? I would really like a useful way to add footnotes. There is an HTML work around but it is very clumsy. I have now resorted to putting references in brackets and small font within the text. I think it is really important for family history blogs to give readers the detail as to how you know particular facts.
  14. Which of your posts has been the most popular with readers? To date it has been A toxophilite - Mary de Crespigny née Clarke (1749 - 1812) at http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/a-toxophilite-mary-de-crespigny-nee.html
  15. Are you a sole blogger or do you contribute to a shared blog? A sole blogger
  16. How do you compose your blog posts? Slowly!  It takes a surprising amount of work to write down what I already know. I go back and check each fact and underlying source and often get caught up in more research.
  17. Do you have any blogs that are not genealogy related? If you wish please share their titles and URLs. No
  18. Have you listed your blog/s at Geneabloggers? Yes
  19. Which resources have helped you with your blogging? Having a tree on the computer with almost all my sources linked has been very important. It is fundamental to maintaining track of my family history research. I have been inspired by the National Library of Australia's Trove resource since it first launched. I want to share more of what I have found also from court cases, inquests, land records and wills.
  20. What advice would you give to a new Geneablogger? Just start trying to tell some of the stories you have discovered when doing your research.